Revised August 19, 2009
Q: What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, but does not include “business card” information such as the name, title, and work address of an employee of an organization. Certain other personal information may also be exempted by law.
Q: How does CIFFA gather personal information?
We gather personal information from a number of sources including prospective Members; Regular, Associate and Individual Members; students; and volunteers. Information is gathered in a number of ways, including verbally (e.g. through meetings and teleconferences), electronically (e.g. through CIFFA’s distance learning programs or through www.ciffa.com) and in writing (e.g. on printed Membership applications and Education registrations).
Personal information we collect in any form (verbal, print, or electronic) is provided voluntarily with a person’s express or implied consent. Express consent is given explicitly, either orally or in writing. Implied consent arises where consent may reasonably be inferred from the action or inaction of the individual.
Q: How does CIFFA use personal information?
Individual personal information is used to:
- Review and process Membership applications, register Member firms with the association and to provide Member services and products to companies and individuals;
- Register individuals for education courses or programs and to administer all education services including course registration, payment, scheduling, testing and examinations, marking and distribution of results, providing of awards and recognition, and providing income tax receipts;
- Provide products and services as requested and to process payment;
- Provide scholarships, awards and recognition;
- Facilitate communication including:
- Providing information to individuals about products and services in which the individual might be interested;
- Marketing initiatives in support of CIFFA’s Education, Membership or Advocacy work;
- Gathering information for planning purposes
- Compilation and distribution of magazines, newsletters, eBulletins and other communications;
- Requesting data or feedback and providing analysis and/ or research for industry related initiatives;
- Allowing individuals access to restricted areas of the web-site
Access: CIFFA makes information available about how we manage an individual’s personal information. Upon request to our Privacy Officer by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org , an individual will be given access to personal information and an opportunity to correct any erroneous information.
Consent: Where appropriate, CIFFA and any third party or contracted organizations or people who act for us ensure that the individual provides informed consent for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information. CIFFA presumes that all personal information provided voluntarily by the individual person is provided with consent for its use in the manner and for the purposes described in this Policy. Either in advance or at the time of collection we will identify other purposes, if any, for which personal information is being collected.
Limiting Collection, Use, Disclosure and Retention: CIFFA strives to ensure that the collection of personal information is limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified above. Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information will be retained only as long as needed to meet those purposes.
Accuracy: CIFFA tries to ensure that personal information under our care is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which the information is to be used. An individual may always request access to their own personal information and is able to correct information or to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
Safeguards: CIFFA takes steps to ensure that personal information is secure and is protected by safeguards which are appropriate to the sensitivity of information.
If you believe CIFFA has failed to meet its obligations under this Policy, we encourage you to contact the Privacy Officer. CIFFA undertakes to investigate all complaints about the handling of personal information.
Although CIFFA strives to protect the privacy of all persons with whom it interacts, neither CIFFA nor its directors, officers, or employees may be held responsible in contract or in tort for any alleged breach of a personal privacy interest, howsoever allegedly arising, including through the negligence of those for whom CIFFA may be held responsible at law.