To ensure continuous excellence and the highest possible skill sets, members take advantage of the many membership services made readily available to them.
|Strength of The CIFFA Brand
- CIFFA, as an association and a brand, is recognized globally as a world-class association for freight forwarders. Anchored by its long history, track record of success, strong relationships with various government bodies, and dedicated secretariat staff, membership in CIFFA guarantees that our industry and your business is well represented.
- The shipping public in Canada – and around the world, knows that when they are dealing with a CIFFA member they are dealing with a company that meets certain minimum requirements. For example, an importer/exporter knows that a CIFFA forwarder carries Errors and Omissions insurance, invests in trained staff, has been in business for at least 36 months and isn’t a ‘fly by night’ organization. Being a member of CIFFA shows your customers and prospective customers that your company is serious about professionalism. Your website would not look as impressive without the CIFFA logo. And, you are eligible to add the FIATA logo which carries international significance, especially if you are looking for an agent overseas.
- CIFFA actively promotes its members through its publications – Annual Membership Directory and The Forwarder Magazine – distributed across Canada and internationally; its website Online Directory making it easier to find your contact details; its attendance at national and international conferences; and its advertising in national publications of “Higher Standard” and “Why Use A CIFFA Forwarder”.
|Use of CIFFA Standard Trading Conditions (Regular Members ONLY)
- Written in plain English, CIFFA’s Standard Trading Conditions clearly outline the roles and responsibilities of the customer and the forwarder.
- Only a CIFFA member regular freight forwarding firm may reference or use the STCs. The STCs level the playing field in Canada and ensure that all customers know what to expect when dealing with their freight forwarder and that the freight forwarder has the ability to limit its liability. Of course, STCs must be communicated to the customer frequently and the customer has to know that the STCs govern the relationship between them and their freight forwarder. You might never need the STCs (other than in a ‘bid’ situation) but they are there for you when you do. Every month it seems that the CIFFA Secretariat receives a call from a member firm asking ‘can I hold a shipment for past due invoices’ or ‘am I liable for this error in this circumstance’ and every month we refer to the proper clause in the STCs to answer that specific situation. When they have been communicated properly, CIFFA STCs hold up in court again and again.
- CIFFA International Freight Forwarding courses with standardized examinations set the bar for sector education in Canada.
- CIFFA Workshops deliver specialized, practical, timely and cost-effective training to members, web-based or in class.
- CIFFA Dangerous Goods training courses meet IATA, FIATA, ICAO, IMO and Transport Canada standards. CIFFA tracks member employees’ Dangerous Goods training, alerting them to renewal requirements and opportunities.
- CIFFA currently administers the CIFFA Certificate and Advanced Certificate through 10 accredited colleges. Member companies now have the opportunity to hire a college grad who also holds a CIFFA Certificate.
- The “CIFFA Internship Program” provides well-educated college students to member firms for work semesters as part of their college diploma requirements.
- CIFFA members pay reduced fees for employee participation industry-leading freight forwarding education programs.
- The Association works as a champion for business and industry sector rights and represents a common front for international freight forwarders, taking on government, NGOs, conventions, carriers, IATA and FIATA issues, both nationally and internationally.
- CIFFA provides an effective and representational voice at all levels of government – whether it is to provide insight into the definition of the ‘exporter’ to Canada Border Services Agency when drafting the new Canadian Export Regulations or to work with carriers and governments in drafting the procedures for Advance Commercial Information. CIFFA is the ‘Voice of Freight Forwarding’ in Canada.
- CIFFA provides early visibility to members on important government initiatives, such as the work with Transport Canada on Air Cargo Security.
|Expert Guidance and Secretariat Resources
- The CIFFA Secretariat handles dozens of enquiries from employees of member firms seeking expert guidance on a myriad of technical subjects including air cargo security, air dangerous goods, liability and ocean bill of lading questions, customs examinations, delays, Incoterms etc. Many questions relate to complex, highly technical areas of interest. When no-one at the Secretariat knows the answer, we refer to our volunteer national committees who can almost always give us the information we need. We then share it back with the member. Our committees are dedicated to upholding strict mandates and are chaired by CIFFA Directors with on-going, hands-on experience.
- Factor in a Board of Directors that is made up of membership-elected professionals who share among them hundreds of years of international freight forwarding experience, and members have immediate access to experienced individuals ready and able to assist them.
- To get answers to your toughest day-to-day questions, or access international trade linkages, or become part of a multitude of member driven policy initiatives, we are just a phone call or e-mail away! You can connect with non-competitive, unbiased experts.
- CIFFA’s daily advisory eBulletin contains the latest industry news members – and their employees — need to know.
- Canada’s own industry magazine “The Forwarder”, available online, provides thought provoking articles and perspective to the changing environment in which members operate.
- An interactive web site, regularly updated, delivers current information at your fingertips, linking members immediately to global transportation, regulatory and information sites.
- Change is constant. Regulations change. Dangerous Goods requirements change. Association staff scans information from national and international sources, transforming data into timely and relevant information.
- Regional networking events such as the totally revised Forwarders Celebrate Associates (FCA) gala dinners, golf tournaments, student graduations and informational breakfasts provide members with excellent opportunities to interact with suppliers and the community.
- Non freight forwarding companies join CIFFA as Associate Members. This gives them an opportunity to promote their services to the freight forwarding community; stay current on the industry news, take advantage of the member rates for courses, events and merchandise; and to showcase their community contribution through the FCA Leadership Awards Program.
- Visit our Member-to-Member (M2M) page to learn more about recently added communication program between Regular and Associate members.
- Other members can take advantage of corporate rates and special programs offered by Associate Members under Affinity Program.
- Regular Members can easily find industry service providers through the list of Associate members in the annual printed membership directory and via the on-line directory.
|FIATA Membership (Regular Members ONLY)
- As a member benefit, CIFFA Regular membership fees include annual registration as an Individual Member of FIATA.
- After a six-month waiting period, members are allowed to purchase and use all FIATA documents, including FIATA FBLs, FCRs, etc.
- Your company’s name and address is published in the FIATA Member List. This on-line directory of qualified freight forwarders is updated and searchable.
- Individual Members of FIATA are permitted to display the FIATA Logo on their office signboards and company vehicles, and to print the logo on their company stationery and business cards (but not on transport documents).
- Every Individual Member of FIATA receives an official membership certificate on payment of the annual subscription fee (by CIFFA).
- Individual Members of FIATA can obtain FIATA publications as well as FIATA articles at special discounted rates.
- Individual Members of FIATA receive their own individual copies of the FIATA REVIEW (containing reports on FIATA activities, congress programmes, etc.) and FIATA information on forums and symposia and other information direct from the Federation.
|Scholarship (Regular Members ONLY)
- Children of Regular Member Employees can apply for the CIFFA Scholarship.