Canadian Freight Forwarding companies who meet the requirements outlined below can apply for the CIFFA Regular Membership.
– Be in business for a minimum of 36 months*;
– Persons or corporations whose business is a subsidiary of a primary carrier or in any manner subsidiary to, or owned in whole or in part by any shipper, consignee, exporter or importer may, at the board’s sole discretion, become a regular member should applicant show that business between the applicant and the other party are at arm’s length. (Refer to CIFFA By-Laws, Membership, Membership Classes and Conditions Section 1, a) i and ii);
– Sponsored by two current Regular Member companies, whose membership is in good standing;
– Abide by the requirements of Canadian law for trained staff at each location where shipping of dangerous goods (air, ocean and road) takes place*;
– Maintain trained staff equivalent to the CIFFA Certificate Program at each location where international freight forwarding operations takes place*;
– Abide by the CIFFA Standard Trading Conditions as approved by the national membership, or Corporate Trading Conditions no less onerous than those of CIFFA;
– Abide by the Association’s requirement to secure, at the member’s cost, Freight Forwarders Liability Insurance as well as Errors and Omissions coverage with a minimum liability in the amount in Canadian currency of ($500,000.00) five hundred thousand dollars per occurrence (such proof to be attached to application), and carrier’s liability as may be assumed under a FIATA FBL or like contract of carriage issued in the Member’s name, current proof of which will be forwarded annually to the Secretariat;
– Maintain a high degree of professional conduct and ethics in all business dealings;
– Undertake to pursue the aims of the Association at all times.
Every CIFFA Member pledges to abide by CIFFA’s professional Code of Ethics
*Note: Please refer to the Regular Member Criteria – New Applicant Compliance Guidelines for exceptions.
Note: New Members will only receive membership in FIATA with the start of each calendar year, January first.
CIFFA Associate Membership allows companies other than Freight Forwarders to also join the Association. Benefits of Associate Membership include effective communications, networking events and opportunities for cost reduction programs.
The following are the Associate categories available to non – Freight Forwarding companies.
– The annual fee currently in effect is payable at the time of application for membership, and is pro-rated from the date of approval (make cheque payable to CIFFA)
– Membership fee includes Membership in FIATA (effective January 1st of each year)
– Fees are non-refundable
– Subject to applicable tax(es)
|CIFFA Regular Annual Membership Fees – Effective January 1, 2016||Fee*|
|CIFFA Associate Annual Membership Fees – Effective January 1, 2016||$770.00|